Is It Hard to Make a Quilt Coat?
Supplies You Need to Make a Quilt Jacket
Quilting a coat blends the lovely art form of quilting with the astounding ability of clothing construction. Let’s have a look at the materials you’ll need to make your own quilted jacket.
- Sewing Machine– To construct a lovely quilted jacket, you don’t need an expensive machine with all the “bells and whistles.”
- Quilting Cotton Batting– For warmth and durability, I prefer 100 percent cotton.
- Muslin– You can use this fabric to construct a mockup of the same name (muslin.) In clothing construction, a muslin is used as a practice piece. This step does not need the creation of quilted sections; it is simply a test of the coat’s design sizing and construction.
- Quilting cotton, silk, acetate, or flannel can be used as the lining fabric. If you don’t want to lining the coat, this step is optional.
- Thread– A strong polyester thread that can tolerate wear and washing is recommended.
- Quilted Jacket Pattern: You can use a quilted jacket pattern or a conventional pattern to make a quilted jacket. To make a one-of-a-kind coat, use quilted pieces instead of solid pieces of fabric.
- For the coat’s closures, you’ll need zippers, buttons, velcro, or other forms of notions. You’ll find instructions on which notions you’ll need in the pattern you choose.
Quilt Jacket Pattern Round-Up: 17 Stunning Ideas to Inspire You
My goal with this collection of quilted jacket design ideas is to encourage you to make a coat for yourself. Quilted coats are a great way to show off your sewing and quilting abilities while also having something useful to wear in the winter.
1. Quilted Dream Coat
Martha at Buried Diamond created this lovely coat. This colorful, joyful jacket was made with the beginner-friendly nine-patch block. She has also led us through each step of the process of constructing this coat, so you may follow along with her if you want to!
2. Megan Nielsen Hovea Quilted Coat Pattern
3. SewHungryHippie’s Tamarack Coat
Natalie produced this coat at SewHungryHippie.com. This warm tamarack-style jacket was made with all solid colors in an improv pattern. This coat has a trendy eclectic vibe because to the vivid colors.
4. Beachcomber Jacket Quilt Pattern
5. Quilted Tamarack
If you want a scrappy look, try making a long tamarack like the one created by BirdBrain Designs. She made this one-of-a-kind coat out of leftovers of many colorful modern fabrics. She also explains the modifications she made to the original pattern to make it an OOAK.
6. Homeday Tamarack Quilted Coat
This is a great example of how to make a beautiful quilt jacket using a basic quilt design. This comfortable coat was made using a simple tamarack coat template. This would be an excellent first-time project.
7. Chiono Quilted Jacket
8. Quilted Coat DIY
9. “Party All Over” Quilted Coat
This long, robe-like jacket would be ideal for the autumn season. Also, take a look at those massive pockets. It’s fantastic! This jacket was constructed from a quilt that already existed. The jacket pattern pieces were strategically set out on the quilt, and the appropriate components were cut out.
10. Tamara’s Joy Quilted Jacket
This is a well-written tutorial on how to build a quilted jacket from a jacket design. Tamara, the author, provides detailed directions for cutting and piecing the coat. She also provides numerous coat design options for making your own quilted coat or jacket.
11. West Quilt Coat
This quilted coat embodies modern elegance and would look stunning on a variety of body types. The coat’s color pallet makes it a versatile piece, and the construction is straightforward.
12. Cozy Coat
This lovely big quilt coat pattern is perfect for anyone looking for a simple coat design. This pattern is unisex and can be used to build coats for both men and women. The quilt design can be as basic or as intricate as you choose.
13. Brittney Frey’s Quilted Coat
14. Quilt Coat 2.0
Another great tutorial that shows you how to turn a quilt into a quilted coat is this one. The designer offers quilted jacket pattern suggestions as well as many tips and tactics to make the process go more smoothly. She also provides a variety of quilt pattern possibilities based on simple blocks.
15. SewnHandmade’s Quilt Coat Tutorial
How warm does this coat appear to be? The designer demonstrates how to use a practice muslin pattern to iron out any faults in a pattern before using a quilt pattern to produce the quilt pieces for the coat in this tutorial. She’ll show you how to build a quilted coat like the one pictured above from start to finish.